Another actual strip is coming, hopefully before I head off on vacation later this week, but I’ve been against oppressively tight deadlines at work…so my need for procrastination was extreme, and this drawing was closer to being done.
On one of my earlier “collect ’em all” posts, Beth rang in with a couple ideas for other parodies (at least one of which will definitely be done). She also noted that Robby suggested something working around a “boo” or “monster” theme. Not sure if he was looking for something that used those exact words, but I really liked the idea of working the spooky/scary side of the street, so I kept an eye out for product names that lended (loaned? lent? That’s one that I can never keep straight, and heaven forbid I waste precious time consulting a dictionary) themselves to that kind of treatment. And here we are (which tells you all you need to know about what aisles I spend most of my time in when I shop).
The skulls in this one are a departure from the way I usually draw skulls, which has always just been a variation on the poison label approach. I was also a bit stuck for what to do aside from skulls and the stock “dog bone” bone. Not sure my ribs and vertebrae cut it. Was also stuck for what to SAY on the package—”haunted bone fragments” is pretty “enh.”
On the plus side, I was able to exchange the bleedy Prismacolor markers I lamented in my last post for a 96-color set of Tombows, and having that range of colors available made it easy to bypass the whole computer-coloring approach I’d used to middling results in some of the earlier “collect ’em all” drawings.
Just realized I hadn’t put up a blog post in June—just getting in under the buzzer! My weight loss and cartooning goals for 2017 may be all but shot, but maybe I can take some satisfaction in a consecutive-months blogging streak.
Had the idea for this one in my head for a while. First choice would have been to come up with a parody for Molson Golden, but I couldn’t think of anything to change “Golden” to. So here we are.
A few things going on here. First, I didn’t know that my editing software couldn’t put text in an arc, so this label was harder to put together than I expected.
Second, for my birthday I splurged for a bunch of Prismacolor magic markers. Turns out I should have (a) tested them more extensively and (b) saved the receipt. The ink in these markers is heavy and very bleed-y, as I learned to my great dismay when I tried to draw the “CANDIDA” in this label. It’s like trying to draw with a giant Sharpie. The ink also seeps through the pages of my sketchpad, which is not cool.
The receipt thing ticks me off, because I am a notorious pack rat who (usually) never throws ANY scrap of paper away. I recently came across a Food Lion receipt from a 2014 trip to the Outer Banks, for God’s sake. But I couldn’t put aside THIS receipt.
Yeah, this is another biology-themed joke. Not a very accurate one, either, as I don’t think Candida (the genus of the fungus that causes thrush and yeast infections) is much of a problem as a foot-focused skin infection. But if I went with the thrush or yeast infection angle, I’d lose the relevance of “Moleskin.” And there you have the kind of thing that goes through my mind and prevents me from actually drawing anything.
I’m feeling like I REALLY need to get a few actual STRIPS drawn. As I think I noted before, these parody drawings feel like cheats cartooning-wise.
But, for the moment, the important thing is that I have an entry for June 2017.